Free shipping on orders over $99
1 ½ sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
½ cup unsulphured molasses
Zest from one orange
Juice from one lemon
1 large egg
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
4 - 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1. Cream butter and brown sugar, in a mixer on medium, until fluffy.
2. Add molasses, egg, vanilla extract, orange zest and lemon juice. Mix until all incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the 4 cups of flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and cloves together until combined.
4. On low speed add the dry ingredients to the wet, a cupful at a time, until combined.
5. Dough will be ready when it is non-greasy to the touch, if it is still sticky, add the extra half a cup of flour.
6. Roll the dough and chill for at least an hour.
7. When dough is ready and hard to the touch, cut out your gingerbread shapes and place them on a baking tray. Chill the shapes one more time before baking.
8. Bake at 175 degrees celsius for 7-9 minutes. Remove the cookies when the surface looks matte with no shine. Leave to cool on a baking sheet for 10 minutes before placing on a cooling rack to cool completely before decorating.