4-5 eggs, 220g weighed
500g icing sugar
1 tbls cleaned and slightly roasted star anise
1 tbls cherry brandy (optional)
1. Beat the eggs and sugar thoroughly until the mixture turns in to an airy creme.
2. Knead the anise and flour into it and let it rest for 10 minutes.
3. While the dough is still slightly sticky, divide in to 4 even portions.
4. Lightly dust with flour so that the dough feels like silk. Roll it out to a thickness of 8-10mm.
5. Dust the Springerle with flour.
6. Lightly press the Springerle into the dough until the mould cavity is sufficiently filled.
7. Cut out the mould image with a suitable cookie cutter.
8. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
9. Place the Springerle on the tray and leave for 12-24 hours (dependant on size) in an even temperature to dry. If you are concerned about temperature you can leave on the bottom shelf of the fridge.
10. Set the oven to 150-160 degrees and bake for 12-15 minutes. The picture should remain white while the base turns slightly brown in colour.
11. A successful Springerle will be soft on the inside and crisp on the outside.
Recipe supplied by Springerle.com