1/2 Cup Butter Softened
3/4 Cup Sugar
1 Egg, Room Temperature
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 Cups Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
3 3/4 Cups Confectioners' Sugar
1/4 Cup Copha
4-6 Tbls Water
Yellow, Orange, Green and Black Colour Mill food colouring
1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and blended. Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
2. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually beat into a creamed mixture.
3. Separate dough into 2 portions. Shape each into a disk, wrap with glad wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to approx. 60mm thick.
7. Cut with your choice of Halloween shaped cookie cutters.
8. Place cookies approx 5cm apart on the tray.
9. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
10. Remove from oven and place on wire racks to cool completely.
1. While cookies are cooling, beat confectioners' sugar, copha and enough water to reach spreading consistency.
2. Tint frosting with chosen Colour Mill food colouring and decorate cookies as desired.
3. Allow to stand until set.
Recipe from tasteofhome.com
Preparation: 1 hour
Cook: 30 minutes
Extra Time: 2 hours
3 1/2 cups self raising flour
1 cup plain flour
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
185g chopped butter
1/2 cup golden syrup
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup pure icing sugar
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
3 cups pure icing sugar
Vanillin Sugar, for dusting
Lollies or small toys for inside of house
30cm round or square cake board
1. Preheat oven 180 degrees C.
2. Combine flours, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, sugar and butter in a food processor. Process until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Whisk golden syrup and eggs together in a jug. With the motor running, add egg mixture and process until dough just comes together.
4. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until smooth. Cut dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap.
5. Meanwhile, prepare gingerbread house cookie cutters and line baking trays with baking paper.
6. Roll dough, 1 portion at a time, between 2 sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Remove top layer of baking paper. Using the Gingerbread House Cookie Cutters, cut the shapes from the dough.
7. Re-knead and re-roll dough as needed to cut shapes from dough.
8. Place gingerbread in single layers on trays. Bake 2 trays at a time for approx. 15 minutes or until firm.
9. Cool on trays.
1. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add icing sugar, beating constantly until thick.
2. Using a knife, spread icing to join wall edges together. Start with a front and side wall, placing pins into adjoining wall edges to support joins until icing dries.
3. You should have an empty house without a roof. Fill inside of house with lollies or small toys if house feels strong and dry enough.
4. Use icing to attach roof to walls, using pins into adjoining walls to support until icing dries completely. Remove pins only when house is solid and dried.
5. Spoon 1/2 cup of remaining icing into a piping bag. Pipe windows and doors on house and frost on roof edges. Allow to dry.
6. Dust roof with Vanillin sugar.
This cute gingerbread house will last up to 1 week. Best made a couple of days before Christmas and when children are around so they can crack it open to find all the goodies inside. Also a great gift idea.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
7-8 slices fruit brioche
60g butter, room temperature
900g tub double thick vanilla custard
1 tbs caster sugar
1 medium green apple, thinly sliced
Icing sugar, to dust
160ml caramel sauce
Thickened cream, to serve
Preparation time: 15 mins + 1 1/2 hrs chilling time
Cooking time: 10-20 mins
Serves: Makes approx 30
Sift the dry ingredients together and set aside. Place butter and sugar into a large bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Switch to low speed before adding vanilla, egg and milk until combined. Gradually add the dry mixture until combined and dough starts to pull away from the bowl (firming up). Divide the dough in half, wrap in baking paper and chill for an hour in the fridge.
Sprinkle icing sugar on the surface where cookies will be rolled out. Roll out till ¼ inch thick and cut into desired shapes. Place on baking tray lined with baking paper. Put the trays of cookies in the fridge for 30 minutes before baking to prevent them from spreading too much in the oven.
Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes at 160ºC until edges are golden. Let them sit on baking tray for 2 minutes to cool before removing. When cookies are completely cool, sandwich them together with your favourite Beerenberg jam and enjoy!
Every year I was so excited to get hold of the Celebrate issue of Donna Hay magazine and devour the most amazing Christmas recipes. Sadly the magazine was discontinued this year BUT Donna Hay has released a Christmas Cookbook, "Christmas Feasts and Treats" so, for this year at least, my craving is satisfied!
Many of the treats in this new cookbook were made using cookie cutters that we supplied.
Here's a list for your easy reference!
Pg 112 - Wholemeal Poppy Seed Lavosh - Leaf 6.5cm & 7.5cm
Pg 119 - Snowy Christmas Fruit Cake - Snowman 8.5cm & 10cm
Pg 121 - Cranberry & Fig Bundt Cakes with Gingerbread Antlers - Deer Antlers 11cm
Pg 124 - Rum & Raisin Brownie Christmas Trees - Christmas Fir Tree 9cm
Pg 127 - Hazelnut & Brandy Forest Cake With Cream Cheese Icing - Deer 5cm & 7cm
Pg 152 - Gingerbread Men Ice-Cream Sandwiches - Gingerbread Man 12cm
Pg 198 - Raspberry & Shortbread Slice - Set of 6 Star Cookie Cutters
Pg 202 - Malt Cookies & Ginger Snaps - Set of 6 Round Fluted & Straight Edge Cookie Cutters
Pg 208 - Coconut Jam Hearts - Round 7cm & Heart 4cm
Pg 217 - Salted Chocolate Gingerbread Men - Gingerbread Man 9cm
Pg 220 - Gingerbread Christmas Cookie Garlands - Christmas Fir Tree 7cm, Star 5 Pointed 7cm (or from Set of 6 Star Cutters) & Gingerbread Man 7.5cm
Pg 220 - Gingerbread Man Wreaths - Gingerbread Man 7.5cm
Pg 221 - Gingerbread Advent Calendar Stars - Set of 6 5-Pointed Stars
Pg 221 - Gingerbread Buttons - Button with Embossed Details or 3cm round, 5cm Round and 6mm Round Piping Nozzle
Pg 222 - Gingerbread Heart Garlands - Heart 3.5cm & 3mm Round Icing Nozzle
Pg 222 - Lemon & Vanilla Snowflakes - Snowflake 7cm, Snowflake Ice Crystal 9.5cm, Snowflake Ice Crystal 7.5cm
Pg 223 - Vanilla Star Wreaths - Star 8cm (from Set of 6 Star Cutters)
Pg 224 - Gingerbread Reindeer & Spiced Vanilla Reindeer - Deer 5cm & 7cm
Pg 224 - Chocolate Cookie Christmas Tree - Star Set of 10 Cookie Cutters with 6 points for a symmetrical tree
The cookbook is available from all good book retailers and online at the Donna Hay Store here.
This latest cookbook from Donna Hay is, of course, beautiful and filled with recipes that I cannot wait to try at home.
- Lisa xo